High Blood Sugar
We all net to know about High Blood Sugar level. A blood-sugar level of more than 150 to 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood (mg/dl) usually is high enough to cause symptoms.
When your blood sugar is high, some of the sugar “overflows” through your kidneys into your urine, and fluid goes with it. Because you make more urine than normal, high blood sugar leads to dehydration. Sometimes dehydration from a high blood sugar is severe, and it can require hospitalization and intravenous (IV) fluids.
Symptoms of too much urine production due to a high blood sugar include:
- Frequent urination
When sugar flows out of the body in urine, your body loses an important fuel. This loss of sugar can cause the following symptoms:
- An unusually strong appetite
- Weight loss even though you may eat a lot
High sugar levels cause water in your body to soak into some tissues and out of others in unusual ways. As a result, some of the cells and structures in the body may not function perfectly. Problems that result can include:
- Weakness of the immune system
- Blurred vision from temporary swelling and shrinking of the lens in your eye
- (In severe cases) sudden brain problems, including confusion, stroke symptoms, seizure or coma (known as hyperosmolar coma)
When your blood sugar is high, it is usually a sign that your muscles and other working tissues can’t easily obtain sugar to use for energy. This “sugar-hunger” in your body tissues can cause:
- (Rarely) substitution of other body fuels, especially “ketones,” which can cause a body acid imbalance. This problem (ketoacidosis) is quite unusual in type 2 diabetics but is dangerous when it does occur.
Yeast and fungus commonly found on body surfaces grow best when your own tissues cannot get at your sugar, leaving extra food for these unwanted “guests.” This can lead to:
- Yeast and fungal infections (such as a rash in the genital area or other moist surfaces, or a discharge from the vagina, or a sore throat, or athlete’s foot)
All of the symptoms that were discussed in this section can be relieved with treatment that controls high blood sugar. If the blood-sugar levels stay high for long periods, then later health problems are very likely to develop.
You Might Be Interested in: Breakfast Benefits