Detoxification or Detox Diet refers to elimination of Toxins and Poison or even unwanted matter from the body. The Idea of Detox diet is to consume raw or natural food that will aid the kidneys, lymph and liver to function better. There are various types of Detox diets, one can chose according to one’s suitability.
Liquid diets is also categorised under Detox diet where one has to consume several juices to get rid of the body toxins.
There are few guidelines that should be followed while opting for Detox diet.
Guidelines and Benefits of Detox Diet:
The Detox diet span is to be moderate, not to acute or elongated. A Normal Detox diet is to be followed for 7 days to 10 days depending upon an individual once a month or even followed on weekly basis. For instance, you can follow Detox diet thrice continuous days in a week.
Food that heavily cooked in oil and Spices should be completely avoided, rather switch to lightly cooked or even raw food.
- Detox is preferred to get rid of the excess fat in the body and also for losing weight.
- Diet benefits one with increased level of anti-oxidants with consumption of certain food type and thus this delays skin aging.
- Its helps skin achieve that glow, since toxin is flushed out from the body.
Lemon Detox Diet
This is a very simple and most preferred diet with no fuss.
- Drink a glass full of Warm water to which a whole lemon juice has been added. Donot add sugar/honey or even salt. It is just lemon and water, to be consumed first thing in the morning.
- And one can continue with their regular breakfast post one hour.
- Foodstuff to avoid: Oily, Fried foodstuff, Starch rich foodstuff.
- Switch to lightly cooked meals with a bowl full of salad.
- One can follow this diet every alternate week or even daily. This diet increases metabolic rate and helps lose weight and flush out toxins.
Green Detox diet:
As the name suggest, Green vegetables play an pivotal role in this diet, Bottle gourd, Bitter gourd, Cucumber, Coriander, Spinach, Cabbage, Broccoli .Green Vegetable juices are consumed instead of Breakfast with Oatmeal porridge. This is a wholesome diet as well, Natural Vitamins and minerals are provided with this diet and thus system is cleansed of toxins. One can even mix vegetable juice with Fruit juice, cutting down the sugar.
Fruit Detox Diet:
- If you follow Detox diet per week or alternate weeks, Here is the list of Ingredients that help flush out toxins from the body.
- Fruits like Apple, Banana, Oranges, Sweet lime, Pineapple, Mango, Kiwi, Grapes, Peaches, and Melons etc.
- Make sure the juices are prepared at home from Fresh fruits; avoid canned fruits or even ready to drink juices.
- Vegetables like carrots, onions, turnip, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, sweet corn, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, salad, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions etc. Make sure to get them fresh and avoid dried or canned ones, You can stir fry them with very little oil and some red chilli powder and can be consumed as meal instead of some curry made with coconut gravy.
- Beans and Lentils that are detox friendly are Red Kidney beans, black eyes peas, Red Lentil, Green lentil, Grams, Chickpeas etc. These lentils can be boiled or cooked in low spices.
- Oats are wonderful source and clean system very well. Have it in porridge form or even make variety of Breakfast from it.
- Other foodstuff to include in Detox diet is Tofu, Garlic, Ginger, Coriander (fresh leaves), Honey, Lemon, Olive oil, Curd/Yoghurt, Nuts that are unsalted, Brown rice, and Herbal teas.
Foodstuff to avoid is cheese, Full toned milk and milk stuff. If you want milk, switch to low fat milk. Butter, Margarine, White bread, Sweets, Jam, Sugar, Chocolates, Fried stuff or Chips and salted nuts, Sauces, Pickles, Salad Dressings, fizzy drinks etc.
One can plan out detox diet according to one’s need and preference, from the above listed products and foodstuff. A Day in a week should be reserved to follow detox diet in this fast paced lifestyle in suburbs.
You Might Be Interested in: Healthy Winter Foods